Work Permits

GECS issues work permits to eligible students who are making satisfactory progress in their studies. For our purposes, days defined by the department of labor as “when school is in session” apply only to days when the student is actually required to be on the school campus.

Remember, it is a privilege to have a work permit, and to keep the permit, the student must be making adequate progress toward high school requirements.

Guidelines for Employment of Minors:

  • Ages 16-17  When school is in session: Daily maximum of 4 hours, Monday through Thursday. May work up to 8 hours on any non-school day or on any day that precedes a non-school day. May be permitted to work up to 48 hours per week.
  • Ages 14-15  When school is in session: On school days daily maximum 3 hours. On non-school days may work 8 hours. Weekly maximum of 18 hours. 
  • Younger than 14 - Labor laws generally prohibit nonfarm employment of children younger than 14. Special rules apply to agricultural work, domestic work and the entertainment industry.

When School is Not in Session:

  • 16-17 year old students may work a maximum of 48 hours per week, not to exceed 8 hours per day.
  • 14-15 year old students may work a maximum of 40 hours per week, not to exceed 8 hours per day.

The work permit expires after one year, or after leaving the school, or after you leave the employer listed on the form. You must request a new work permit each time you obtain a new job, at the beginning of each school year, and if you change your school of attendance.  The work permit will be canceled if the student is considered truant.

When a student turns 18, the work permit is no longer required.

Work Permit Procedure:

  1. Contact Marita McIntyre, Office Manager/Registrar, to get an “Intent to Employ a Minor” form and Guidelines for Employment of Minors.  Phone: (530) 926-5800 or Email:
  2. Have the student, parent and employer complete and sign their parts of the form.
  3. Send or fax to Marita McIntyre at the Main Office:
    • Fax: (530) 926-5826
    • Email:
    • Mail: 2226 S. Mt. Shasta Blvd, Ste C, Mt. Shasta, CA  96067  
  4. The school office will authorize the work permit and return it to the student to give to her/his employer.